Old Number 30
Wartime Mission: Highly classified missions transporting spies and supplies and rescuing wounded and refugees. This actual aircraft’s heroic missions were lost to history for 70 years until now. “Old Number 30” is named after a mule, serial number 30, that was one of four mules flown along with four partisan commandos in the dead of night from Brindisi, Italy to a top-secret site in the Balkans in 1944. Mule #30, along with 35 other mules hauled twelve 75-mm guns through the mountains to attack Nazi occupiers. This was one of thousands of missions conducted under fire. Arizona CAF Museum has embarked on an ambitious fundraising program to restore “Old Number 30” to its authentic interior and exterior.
The C-47 is a modified version of the Douglas DC-3 “Dakota” passenger airliner and was used as a corporate plane after WWII. She was then purchased by the “Wings of Flight Foundation” before arriving at Arizona CAF Museum.
Number of Passengers: 12
Accessibility: Must be able to climb steps into the fuselage.
Ear Protection: Earplugs (provided or bring your own)
Flight Intensity: Low (typically less than a commercial airliner)
Maiden Flight: 23 December 1941
Theater of War: World War II through Vietnam
Number Produced: Over 10,000 of 30+ variants
Status: Few remaining in operation today by various countries. The rest are private/civilian-owned.
Wingspan: 95 ft 6 in
Length: 63 ft 9 in
Height: 17 ft 0 in
Empty Weight: 18,135 lbs
Max Takeoff Weight: 31,000 lbs
Power Plant: (2) Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C Twin Wasp 14-cylinder radials
Horsepower: 1,200 hp (each)
Maximum Speed: 195 knots (225 mph)
Service Ceiling: 26,400 ft
Rate of Climb: 1,052 ft/min
Range: 1,391 nm (1,600 mi)
Cargo/Passengers: 28 Troops
Flights on this plane
C-47 Skytrain - Seating Chart
- Passengers must be 5 years of age or older. Passengers under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- For safety reasons, all passengers must wear close-toed shoes. No Sandals or flip-flops will be allowed.
- Flights may be cancelled due to weather, mechanical, or crew availability
- There is a minimum of 6 passengers required to fly this aircraft. If the minimum is not met 24 hours prior to the flight time, the flight will be cancelled
- All flights take-off from and land at the same airport.
- Passengers must be able to board aircraft without assistance.
- Ear plugs (provided or bring your own).
- Flight intensity is Low (typically less than commercial airliner).