Maid in the Shade
Wartime Mission: The B-25J Mitchell was named after General Billy Mitchell, a famous Army Air Corps general of the 1920s and 1930s. It proved to be one of the best weapons and was possibly the most versatile aircraft of WWII. Heavily armed, it was utilized for high- and low-level bombing, strafing, photo reconnaissance and submarine patrol. It’s most distinguishing role was in the historic raid over Tokyo in 1942 by the Doolittle Raiders. The B-25 saw duty in every combat area flown by the Dutch, British, Chinese, Russian, Australian, and US forces. Our particular B-25J Maid In The Shade served her wartime duty with the 319th Bomb Group, 437th Squadron at Serragia Airbase, Corsica. There it was assigned Battle Number 18. The plane flew 15 combat missions over Italy and Yugoslavia between November 4 and December 31, 1944. The majority of the targets were railroad bridges.
By 1947 there were only a few hundred B-25s remaining that performed a variety of training, reconnaissance, and support roles. Civilian use also included utility, transport, fire-fighting, and agriculture duties.
There are 3 seats in the forward compartment (jump seats) just behind the flight deck. Passengers in this compartment may crawl through the tunnel into the bombardier position in the nose during the flight.
There are 4 seats in the waist compartment. Passengers in this compartment may crawl into the tail gunner position during the flight.
Flight time is approximately 20 minutes in the air.
Number of Passengers: 7
Price: $325 per seat in waist gunner compartment or $650 per seat in forward compartment.
Accessibility: Please see the disclaimer and boarding video below.
Ear Protection: Earplugs (provided or bring your own)
Flight Intensity: Medium (similar to a commercial airliner; may feel low G-forces on turns/banks.)
What’s it like to be a B-25 pilot?
Type: Medium Bomber
Manufacturer: North American Aviation
Maiden Flight: 19 August 1940
Theater of War: World War II
Number Produced: 9,984
Status: Retired 1979 (last country to operate: Indonesia)
Wingspan: 67 ft 6 in
Length: 52 ft 11 in
Height: 17 ft 7 in
Empty Weight: 21,120 lbs
Max Takeoff Weight: 41,800 lbs
Power Plant: (2) Wright R-2600-35 “Cyclone” 14-cylinder radials
Horsepower: 1,700 hp (each)
Maximum Speed: 239 knots (275 mph)
Service Ceiling: 25,000 ft
Rate of Climb: 790 ft/min
Range: 1,170 nm (1,350 mi)
(1) 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine gun in nose
(4) 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns in “blisters” below cockpit
(2) 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns in dorsal turret
(2) 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns in tail turret
(2) 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns in waist section (one on each side)
(8) 5 in (127 mm) unguided rockets under outer wings
5,000 lbs of bombs
Flights on this plane
B-25J Mitchell Seating Chart
- All passengers must be 12 years of age or older. Minors who fly (age 12-17) must have their guardian complete a Minor Hold Harmless agreement and the guardian(s) must be present on the day of flight.
- There is a minimum number of passengers required to fly this aircraft. If the minimum is not met 24 hours prior to flight time, the flight will be cancelled.
- For your safety and ours, Passengers must be able to enter and exit the aircraft without assistance. Passengers that cannot board without assistance will not be flown. Passengers may be required to demonstrate that they can board and exit the aircraft prior to boarding. Please see the video for more information.
- Flights may be cancelled due to weather, mechanical, or crew availability
- For safety reasons, all passengers must wear close-toed shoes. No Sandals or flip-flops will be allowed.
- All flights take-off from and land at the same airport.